- Places to visit
- What to do
- Organise your trip
- Happening now
Santa Rosa 2011
A spellbinding wine
Santa Rosa, a wine produced in environmentally sustainable vineyards, is born out of the concerns of a family dedicated to the development and aging of wine. In Santa Rosa, a wine that captivates by its delicacy, the Mendoza family pays tribute to Rosa Cortés Devesa, the person who transmitted the passion for viticulture to his son Enrique Mendoza Cortes, founder of the winery.
The Enrique Mendoza winery was founded in 1989 as a family business, although the project was forged in the late 70s, when Enrique started buying, collecting and investing in wine from other wineries as an amateur.
Later on, he recovered the family tradition of making wine for their own consumption and planted the first two thousand vines in L'Alfas del Pi. That original planting now occupies an area of 4.5 hectares, all of it planted with Muscat of Alexandria. Today, the winery hosts 1,400 barrels of the best French and American forests. The second Mendoza winery is in El Chaconero, in the town of Villena. It is equipped with the best technology and facilities to ferment grapes from the 80 hectares (250,000 plants) of the following varieties: Chardonnay for the withe varieties and Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot, Petit Verdot, Shiraz and Monastrell for the red ones.
As if that were not enough, the consciousness of the Mendoza family has led them to grow grapes without herbicides or insecticides, and fed only with compost. Their vineyards are being scientifically supported with regards to dendrometry (a technique to control the water stress in plants) and precision viticulture. And their motto is that the best wine is always in the best vineyard.
- - Designation of origin: Alicante.
- - Wine type: Red wine
- - Variety: 70% Cabernet, 15% Merlot and 15% Shiraz. This wine is made from selected grapes from the vineyards of the estate El Chaconero in Villena. The bunches with the smaller grape diameter are selected and harvested in different times, then vapped with the grapes whole and fermented with ambient yeast, looking for a deeper wine.
- - Alcohol content: 13,5% vol.
- - Aspect: High layer wine.
- - Colour: Ruby red, intense and tile flashes acquired during the aging.
- - Nose: In nose it is very mineral, with hints of graphite, humus, black stones and freshly tilled soil. These mineral aromas intertwine with spicy, balsamic and floral notes such as violet.
- - Mouth: Very balanced, combining power and elegance with a firm tannic load in the center of the mouth, without reconcentrations or aggressiveness.
- - Aftertaste: Spacious and harmonious, with the return of the smoky and toasted hints acquired during its time in the oak barrel.
- - Temperature: 16º
- - Pairing: Red meats, stews and sausages.