Parish Church of Santa Maria

Known also as the “Iglesia de la Natividad de Nuestra Señora”, it is located to the south west of the Plaza Mayor. In an “ogival” Gothic Valencian style, construction began in 1334, on the site that was occupied by the Murviedro Mosque, and concluding at the beginning of the XVIII century. In the XIV century the apse and a lateral Nave that faces north were constructed. In the XV century the south door was built, and in the XVIII the Baroque Main entrance was added at the foot of the temple. The interior composed of three, twenty metre high Naves, with buttresses that form the lateral chapels. The whole temple is constructed with large stone blocks extracted from nearby quarries. On the stairs to the northern entrance to the church two Latin inscriptions dedicated to Voconio Plácido and Popilia Rectina survive. Declared a National Monument in 1982.

  • Features:
  • Times: Horario de culto
  • Season: Siglo XIV
  • Address:
  • Plaza Mayor, s/n
  • Sagunt/Sagunto
  • Phone numbers:
    • +34 962 660 089
Gallery

Rate and share