Canalejas Viaduct

Viaducto Canalejas

It crosses the River Molinar and allows for communication between the centre of the city and the Viaduct quarter and the Callosa d'En Sarrià road. The project was the engineer Próspero Lafarga's, and the Alcoy engineer Enrique Vilaplana Juliá was also involved in its construction. The Viaduct was opened in the year 1907 and was named Canalejas in honour of the member of the Spanish Cortes representing the district of Alcoy, D. José Canalejas Méndez. It is a metallic structure of 352 tons of steel, which rests on three piles and two supports. The bridge is 162 metres long and its original maximum height was 54 metres. At that time it was considered one of the most notable feats of Spanish engineering.

  • Features:
  • Season: 1901-1907

Rate and share