Corbó Castle

Img 1: CORBÓ CASTLE

The castle is mentioned in several documents from 1157 onwards, in which Ramón Berenguer IV granted “Carta Puebla” to Alcañíz. In the "Carta Puebla"of 1239 Pedro Daroca was made Feudal Lord of Corbó castle. It was integrated into the territorial demarcation of Culla Castle. In 1303 the Temple bought, from the indebted Guillem de Anglesola, Culla castle, whose territories included Corbó castle. But in 1307 the Temple persecuted by Jaime II and surrendered in December in Adzaneta, Albocacer, Ares, Benasal, Boi, Caves of Vinromá, Corbó, Culla, Chivert, and The Iglesuela. In1319 the castle was passed on and became a property to Montesa. There is testimony to the existence of a garrison and warden in 1321, when Jaime II mentions misdemeanours against him on behalf of the inhabitants of Morella. The castle is located on a rocky out crop at 1060 metres above sea level, 10 km to the north west of the population, off of the main road to Vilafranca, on the the begining of the Enramos ravine. The castle was built upon a Bronze-age settlement that was later occupied in both the Iberian and Roman epochs. Below, a Moslem settlement existed. It is a stone construction, a single walled enclosure with twin square based barbican towers and a main tower with cistern. Its walls, of which very few vestiges remain, due to its location would have been a necessary construction but of limited dimensions. It is accessible from the south, crossing a very pronounced slope, and from the north, via the entrance. According to popular legend, the castle has an underground tunnel communicating with the cave at the foot of the mountain, where a fresh water spring hides a great treasure. Declared a BIC monument in 2002.

  • Features:
  • Type: BIC Monumento
  • Season: Siglo XII
  • Address:
  • Carretera Benassal-Vilafranca, km 10
  • Benasal

Rate and share